Sunday, May 21, 2017

The Sunday Review #3


The Details:
Author: Sara Bareilles
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Year Released: 2015
Number of Pages: 208
My Rating: ★★★★★


4 Things To Sing About in Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song: 

+ Instead of giving us the Wikipedia version of her life, Sara broke her book down into 8 essays with each essay focusing on a particular song. While I'm sure Sara would have found a clever way to tell us her zodiac sign and her favorite color, I loved that gave us more than a list of facts.

+ Sara Bareilles is a wordsmith with an incredible sense of humor. She incorporates just enough humor into her story to keep things from becoming too heavy. I love her outlook on the world. Plus, her words paint a beautiful picture in your mind. 

+ I found her honesty to be comforting. From the beginning, she welcomed her readers with open arms as she took us on her journey. She didn't skip over the rough parts; instead, she lingered there and let us see that is always light at the end of a tunnel. She talked about her parent's divorce and how it affected her as a child, losing herself in the streets of Italy, and the true story behind "Love Song."
+ Going along with the point above, I loved how vulnerable she was about opening up to her readers about her issues with self-doubt and self-image. I teared up at least once during each essay, but the tears really flowed when I read "You're Beautiful" and "Red."

-  My only complaint is that she only wrote few lines from her songs at the beginning of each essay. I wished she had included all the lyrics for each song. 


More Recommended Reading: 
After reading this book, I found a few other musician/celebrity non-fiction books I am interested in checking out. You might be too!

01| This is a Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl - Paul Brannigan

02| She Bop: The Definitive History of Women in Rock, Pop, & Soul - Lucy O' Brien

03| Wonder Women: 25 Innovators, Inventors, and Trailblazers Who Changed History - Sam Maggs

04| Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between - Lauren Graham

05| Scrappy Little Nobody - Anna Kendrick







No comments:

Post a Comment