Thursday, May 4, 2017

Recipes & Reading: Orangeade Sunsets & Melissa Kantor




A few weeks ago, I updated my usual reading spot on the couch to the deck where I'm not only soaking up words but the sun too. (:
When I'm reading, my go-to drink is usually hot tea, but since the weather is heating up, I'm craving something cooler. I made this Orangeade Sunset recipe a few weeks ago, and let me tell you, it was delicious. What I love about this drink is that you can easily change up the ingredients to include whatever citrus you have at home, which is what I did.
These Orangeade Sunsets are the perfect mocktail for a nice spring day, plus you can easily change that "m" to a capital, boldfaced "C" with your choice of alcohol after a rough day.

I used Martha Stewart's recipe as a guideline. Since I wanted to use things I already had at home, I made a few changes. I will note the changes that I made in the list of ingredients below!


Orangeade Sunsets


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice (about 6 oranges) - I had some mandarin oranges that were starting to go bad, so I used a mixture of those and navel oranges.
  • 1 cup club soda - I didn't have any club soda at home, but I did have some orange flavored La Croix. You get the fizziness from the sparkling water plus even more orange flavor to intensify the overall taste of the drink. A win-win
  • 1/2 cup grenadine
  • 1 navel orange, cut into thin half rounds


    Directions:

    • Fill a large pitcher with ice. Add the Orange juice and club soda; stir, Divide among four glasses. 
    • Add 1 tablespoon grenadine to each glass, without stirring. Garnish with the orange rounds, and serve.



    Now, let's talk about the perfect book to read while you're sipping away on your Orangeade Sunset. With a sweet fruity drink, you also need a sweet read to go with it. After going through my book collection a dozen times, I finally settled on Melissa Kantor's If I Have A Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince?
    This is a charming (pun intended) modern retelling of the Cinderella story. Instead of taking place in a far away kingdom, it takes in Lucy's new home in Long Island.

    Here's a short synopsis from Goodreads:
    Wicked stepmother? Check. Evil stepsisters? Check. Miserable life? Check.Lucy Norton’s life has all the makings of a Cinderella story. Her dad’s always away on business, leaving Lucy with her cruel stepmother and bratty stepsisters. She’s burdened with chores, and has a hard time fitting in at her new school. So when she sees Connor Pearson, the star player on the varsity basketball team, Lucy hopes her destiny has finally changed. With everything else going on in her life, doesn’t she at least deserve to get the handsome prince? 
    What I love about this story is that it makes you question if prince charming is all he's cracked up to be? What if there's someone who understands you more than your prince? What if the key isn't about finding a prince but finding yourself?

    Squee!

    I love this book so much!

    Spring and Orangeade Sunsets and Melissa Kantor just go together so freakin' well!


    If you try out the drink recipe, let me know! Also, let me know what book you'll be reading while you're sipping your drink and enjoying the spring weather. Personally, I think orangeade sunsets and Melissa Kantor are a matched made in heaven, but that's just my thought. Maybe you have a different combination? I would love to hear it! 


    Love, 

    Leah 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment