Thursday, May 11, 2017

New Additions to My (Overflowing) Bookshelf



It's been at least 6 months since the last time I went on a book spending spree, which is a huge accomplishment for me. Scrolling through Amazon late a night and walking the aisles of Barnes and Nobel used to be a weekly thing for me. Now, I'm trying to make the most out of the free resources I have i.e. the library and dozens of books I already own but have never read.

This time it wasn't a Barnes and Nobel that broke my spending ban. Rather, it was a Books a Million that did me in. To be more specific, it was the bargain section at Books a Million that did it. Who can turn down a new book for $3.97?!

You know how at parties you try really hard not to break the seal because once you do you'll be running to the bathroom every five minutes? Well, when I picked up that first hardback, my book seal was broken. Every single book in the place caught me eye. They told me, "Leah, Leah, buy me. Take me home. Let me see what is beyond these cement walls." As I picked up book after book, I knew I was giving them a better life. I was going to set them all free!

Luckily, my sister was there to stop me from buying everything in sight.

However, she wasn't there later that night or the next day or a few weeks ago when I found myself scrolling through Amazon. A large dent to my bank account was made that day. But man, it felt good.




Hot Dudes Reading - Does this book really need an explanation? This is a book about hot dudes reading with hilarious captions. I like dudes who read ergo this was a no brainer purchase.

Austenland - Shannon Hale: Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New Yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her love life: no real man can compare. But when a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, Jane's fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become realer than she ever could have imagined. 
Decked out in empire-waist gowns, Jane struggles to master Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen; or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them. It's all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to fall away, and the more she wonders: Is she about to kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?

Finding Audrey - Sophie Kinsella: An anxiety disorder disrupts fourteen-year-old Audrey’s daily life. She has been making slow but steady progress with Dr. Sarah, but when Audrey meets Linus, her brother’s gaming teammate, she is energized. She connects with him. Audrey can talk through her fears with Linus in a way she’s never been able to do with anyone before. As their friendship deepens and her recovery gains momentum, a sweet romantic connection develops, one that helps not just Audrey but also her entire family.

Funny Girl - Nick Hornby: Set in 1960's London, Funny Girl is a lively account of the adventures of the intrepid young Sophie Straw as she navigates her transformation from provincial ingĂ©nue to television starlet amid a constellation of delightful characters. 

The Unexpected Everything - Morgan Matson: Andie had it all planned out. When you are a politician’s daughter who’s pretty much raised yourself, you learn everything can be planned or spun, or both. Especially your future. Important internship? Check. Amazing friends? Check. Guys? Check (as long as we’re talking no more than three weeks).
But that was before the scandal. Before having to be in the same house with her dad. Before walking an insane number of dogs. That was before Clark and those few months that might change her whole life. Because here’s the thing—if everything’s planned out, you can never find the unexpected. And where’s the fun in that? 

Yes Please - Amy Poehler: In Amy Poehler’s highly anticipated first book, Yes Please, she offers up a big juicy stew of personal stories, funny bits on sex and love and friendship and parenthood and real life advice (some useful, some not so much), like when to be funny and when to be serious. Powered by Amy’s charming and hilarious, biting yet wise voice, Yes Please is a book full of words to live by.

Styled: Secrets for Arranging Rooms, from Tabletops to Bookshelves - Emily Henderson: It’s easy to find your own style confidence once you know this secret: While decorating can take months and tons of money, styling often takes just minutes. Even a few little tweaks can transform the way your room feels. 
At the heart of Styled are Emily Henderson’s ten easy steps to styling any space. From editing out what you don’t love to repurposing what you can’t live without to arranging the most eye-catching vignettes on any surface, you’ll learn how to make your own style magic. With Emily’s insider tips and more than 1,000 unique ideas from 75 envy-inducing rooms, you’ll soon be styling like you were born to do it. 

America Again: Re-becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't - Stephen Colbert: Book nation, in the history of mankind there has never been a greater country than AmericaYou could say we're the #1 nation at being the best at greatness.
But as perfect as America is in every single way, America is broken! And we can't exchange it because we're 236 years past the 30-day return window. Look around--we don't make anything anymore, we've mortgaged our future to China, and the Apologist-in-Chief goes on world tours just to bow before foreign leaders. Worse, the L.A. Four Seasons Hotel doesn't even have a dedicated phone button for the Spa. You have to dial an extension! Where did we lose our way?!
It's high time we restored America to the greatness it never lost!
Luckily, AMERICA AGAIN will singlebookedly pull this country back from the brink. It features everything from chapters, to page numbers, to fonts. Covering subject's ranging from healthcare ("I shudder to think where we'd be without the wide variety of prescription drugs to treat our maladies, such as think-shuddering") to the economy ("Life is giving us lemons, and we're shipping them to the Chinese to make our lemon-flavored leadonade") to food ("Feel free to deep fry this book—it's a rich source of fiber"), Stephen gives America the dose of truth it needs to get back on track.


1 comment:

  1. I browse the used book sale at the branch library in Boone when I go to my pottery class (in the same building) and there are very few weeks that I don't bring at least one home with me. I just added a stack of books to the shelves in my library last night.

    ReplyDelete