Sunday, April 9, 2017

Headed (Further) Down South to New Orleans


It's been a while since I've last filmed anything. To be honest, being behind a camera freaks me out but not as much as being in front of one! I prefer to be to the right of the camera, out of frame, with a script in hand feeding people their lines.


However, when someone hands me a camera I always get this rush or excitement then followed immediately with nerves. There's so much you can capture within a single frame that I'm afraid I'll capture the wrong thing and the moment will pass.  The weight of it in my hands feels powerful. Too powerful for me to operate, so I tense up and quickly pass it off to someone else. 

If you've seen this post, you know that I recently bought myself a snazzy camera, but to be honest, I haven't used it much. That fear of messing up a shot.  A moment. It still whispers in the back of my mind. When I went to New Orleans, I told myself that I had to shot, edit, and upload a video of my trip. The best way to overcome a fear is to face it head on, right? 

After my trip, I started looking through the clips and realized at least 75% of the footage was out of focus. I debated with myself on whether I should even bother editing it, but I knew that I made myself a promise. Besides, I knew that with each passing year, month, and day, my memory of that night will get a little more out of focus. People's faces will begin to blur, the themes of each float will meld together, the goodies that I caught will be less prominent in my mind. However, I knew that I would never forget how I felt that night. The thrill of the crowd, the grandeur of the floats, the coming togetherness of the people near and far to celebrate. 

I hope you're able to see some of that in this short film. 


Love, 

Leah 



No comments:

Post a Comment