Sunday, February 12, 2017

The Sunday Review: Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella


I don't know if I was hit on the head on January 1st by a radioactive something or other that ended up giving me super reading powers because I've finished 5 books so far this year! Considering I only read 9 books total last year, I think 5 books is damn impressive, which is why I think that I might secretly be a superhero.
I promise to only use my powers for good like reading books so that I can do a Sunday Review. Wait a minute! Don't most superheroes work for a newspaper? Superman. Spiderman. Probably some other man. And I created The Sunday Review as a play off of The Sunday Times, which means...

Yep, I must be a superhero.

Before I let my new found powers go to my head, let's jump into today's topic!


Today we're going to look at Sophie Kinsella's novel, Remember Me? We're going to start by taking a look at the details, an overview of the story, and then we're going to dig a little deeper and focus on the writing.

THE DETAILS:
Title: Remember Me?
Author: Sophie Kinsella
Publisher: Bantam
Year: 2008
Number of Pages: 352
My Rating: 4/5


THE STORY:
During the dull days of January, this book was the ray of sun that got me through the midwinter slump. At the end of each day, I looked forward to getting into bed and reading a few chapters before going to sleep. Remember Me is a fun story with a likable and funny protagonist, Lexi. It's a predictable story, but sometimes it's nice to read something that's familiar. Sometimes it's nice knowing how a story is going to go when you start it. There's no need to flip to the last page to make sure so and so end up together. You can just enjoy the ride and soak up all the cuteness of the characters. Just because the story is predictable, it doesn't mean that Kinsella doesn't throw us some surprises along the way. Two words: Mont Blanc. Trust me, I never saw that one coming.
I don't want to spoil any of the surprises, but I do want to mention the synopsis of the book. I'm going to let Goodreads handle that one because my synopsis writing skills are not the greatest:


When twenty-eight-year-old Lexi Smart wakes up in a London hospital, she’s in for a big surprise. Her teeth are perfect. Her body is toned. Her handbag is Vuitton. Having survived a car accident—in a Mercedes no less—Lexi has lost a big chunk of her memory, three years to be exact, and she’s about to find out just how much things have changed.

Somehow Lexi went from a twenty-five-year-old working girl to a corporate big shot with a sleek new loft, a personal assistant, a carb-free diet, and a set of glamorous new friends. And who is this gorgeous husband—who also happens to be a multimillionaire? With her mind still stuck three years in reverse, Lexi greets this brave new world determined to be the person she…well, seems to be. That is until an adorably disheveled architect drops the biggest bombshell of all.

Suddenly Lexi is scrambling to catch her balance. Her new life, it turns out, comes complete with secrets, schemes, and intrigue. How on earth did all this happen? Will she ever remember? And what will happen when she does?



1 THING YOU DON'T WANT TO FORGET ABOUT REMEMBER ME:

01| Sometimes you've got to stay present: Most books I read are written in the past tense, so when something is written in the present tense, it throws me off. I guess it's because I have trained myself to expect all stories to be told as if the events have already taken place. The main character can spend more time incorporating their new found wisdom into the story since it has already happened to them. It just works. However, writing in the present tense can also work for your story, and in Remember Me it does. Since Lexi has amnesia, it doesn't make sense for her story to be told in the past tense. The book is about Lexi trying to remember the last three years, so it makes sense for the readers to be right beside Lexi the entire time, hence the present tense. Choosing to write in the present tense makes the readers become part of the story, which is what makes this book so much fun to read! 



I would love to check out some other books similar to this one, so if you have any recommendations let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment