Sunday, January 22, 2017

The Sunday Review: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell



Happy Sunday!

Grab a cup of coffee and settle in.

I'm starting a new series on my blog called, The Sunday Review, where I'll be discussing the books that I've read recently. Instead of focusing solely on the plot, I want to talk about the things the author does to make the story work (or not work).

Today we're going to be talking about Rainbow Rowell's debut novel, Attachments. I've seen a lot of rave reviews about her latest novels, Eleanor & Park and Fangirl. However, I didn't want my first Rainbow Rowell novel to be either one of those books. Instead, I decided my first one should also be her first one. Spoiler alert: If her other books are as well written and engaging as her first, I have a feeling I'm going to become a total fangirl!



Title: Attachments

Author: Rainbow Rowell

Year Released: 2011

Number of Pages: 323

Synopsis: Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.
Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.
When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.
By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.
What would he say . . . ?
 

My Rating:
5/5



3 THINGS THAT MAKE YOU NOT WANT TO DETACH YOURSELF FROM ATTACHMENTS:

01| The emails serve a purpose. I've read books that were told entirely through emails, journals entries, and text messages, and I assumed the author did it because it added a level of coolness to the overall book. Also, they could have done it as a modern take on the epistolary novel. Although, I like to think they did it for the coolness factor. (:
In Attachments, it's explained in the beginning why the story is going to be told majority through email. The Courrier has finally given their reporters Internet access; however, the powers-that-be don't trust their staff with access to email and Google, so they've installed a program that monitors everything everyone is doing online. Who is chosen to oversee this program and read everyone's emails? Lincoln.  It's such a genius set-up, and I think Rowell executed it perfectly!


02| The setting transports you back in time. I had to keep reminding myself of the copyright date because I really thought it was published in the 90's! Everything had a 90's feel to it.
 Even the cover looked dated with the muted colors and simple illustration. It's a far cry from the books covers we see today. Hello, tons of bright colors and cover models.
In all, it was Rowell's attention to detail that brought the story to life. Plus the setting also goes hand-in-hand with the purpose of the email correspondence, and the start of a very cute romance.


03| The witty banter will make you ROTFL.  I loved all the pop culture references that Beth and Jennifer made. It shows that even though it takes places 15-ish years ago, the exchange between best friends is timeless. I understood most of the references, but there were a few that I had to look up. I like to think my obsessive Gilmore Girls watching has bumped up my pop culture reference knowledge up to a whole new level. Also, I think that Beth, Jennifer, and Lorelai Gilmore would be best friends.




WHY 5/5?

This book checked off everything that I look for in a novel. It's a great story that kept me up past my usual bedtime to finish reading it. I could really relate to Lincoln, which made me want to cheer for him and Beth from the beginning. Rowell knew when to give the audience a little somethin' somethin' without giving away the whole story. And in the end, I felt like a girl with a crush who can't hide her stupid, fat grin from anyone.




Have you read Attachments? What are your thoughts about the book?


No comments:

Post a Comment