Thursday, January 26, 2017

Finding My Voice in Visual Storytelling




After months and months of saving up, I finally bought a camera! The idea wasn't to get a fancy camera that comes with features such as wifi or touchscreen. Why do you need wifi on your camera?  I just wanted a camera that would allow me to explore the world of visual storytelling.

My minor in college was in film studies. However, I only took two video production courses and struggled in both of them. Even though I have no intentions of becoming a professional cinemaphotographer or photographer, I still think it's important to familiarize myself with cameras and understand how they're used to make movies stories.



Right now, I'm only shooting in "P" mode, which I have no idea what the "P" actually stand for. My professor always called it the party mode because no matter how drunk you are at a party, this setting always takes great pictures.

So party mode it is, for the time being.

Ultimately, I want to be able to shoot in manual that way I'll get to call all the shots (ha!).  When you no longer have to rely on predetermined settings, I think that is the moment where you truly discover your style.

I saw online that Harvard is offering a free online digital photography course, which is a great resource to use if you're looking to expand your knowledge on cameras. I'm excited to check it out because #1 I really miss being in school (adulting is no joke), and #2 I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new notebook. Look how seriously cute these notebooks are: here, here, and here! They're just begging for me to take notes in them.

Before I get my studyin' on, I thought I'd share some of the pictures I've taken over the past few weeks!


My dog Frodo. If he's not by my side, then he's usually not too far behind.


A cold, dreary day is the perfect time for a tea party

This picture was taken on the first day I got my camera. I went through a phase where I took a picture of almost EVERYTHING in sight (bedsheets included).  I like all the texture that's going on in this picture. 

My cat, Lucy. She hates being photographed, but I managed to snap a quick shot.


Shadow play



Check out some of my favorite notebooks:

No comments:

Post a Comment