Thursday, January 12, 2017

17 Goals for 2017


Happy New Year!!

I know this post is going out a little late...two weeks after the start of the new year. Uh-oh.

On the bright side, since I was so late to the game, I know that this post won't get lost in the sea of resolution posts.

For 2017 I want to challenge myself to accomplish 17 goals!  I'm breaking it down into 4 categories: Books, Blog, Lifestyle, and Career.

Let's get started.

You might want to refill your coffee mug. This is going to be a long post.




READING:

01| Read 30 books - Last year I missed my reading goal by a long shot. I blame it on my last semester at college. I was just burned out from reading. I needed a few months to recover. Now, I'm finally getting back into the reading groove, so I have a feeling I can reach my goal this year!

02| Participate in a book club - I belong to a few book clubs on Goodreads, and every month I tell myself that I'm going to read and participate in the discussions, and then I never do. I think staying active in a club for an entire year is a bit of a stretch for me, so I'm only challenging myself to participate for at least 3 months.

03| Read 4 Classics - I'm going to break it down so that I'm reading one per season. Maybe I could make a series about it here on tha blog? Let me know if you're interested!

04| Clean-out of my bookshelves - I only have enough space for two bookshelves in my room, and they are overflowing with books, even after I tried to do a decluttering a few months ago. This time around my rule is if it doesn't fit on the shelf, then it's time to say goodbye. 

BLOGGING:

05| Do another writing challenge - I found my JUST WRITE SOMETHING challenge to be so much fun and helpful. There's definitely going to another one - or two - this year.

06| Buy my domain name - I've held off because I wanted to make sure that I'm in this for the long run. Even though it has only been a few months, I feel really good about this site and want to see it through.

07| Buy a camera - For months I've been saving up to buy the Canon 70D! I don't think you have to have a fancy camera to take pictures for your blog, but over the last year, I've really gotten into photography and filmmaking, so I'm ready to start testing things out and finding my own style.

08| Get more followers - When I first started my blog, I didn't want anybody to see it. Now that I've been blogging for a while, I'm ready to start connecting with more people. My goal is to reach 50 followers on my bloglovin' account. 

LIFE:

09| Reach my goal weight - I know, I know, such a typical new year's resolution. But I do want to work on eating healthier and working out more.

10| Only purchase clothes that were made in the USA - I was partly inspired by the film The True Cost (I wrote a post about it here) and my hometown. The place I grew up in used to be a thriving textile mill town, but over the years the companies have moved overseas, and the mills have closed down. I want to focus on supporting the companies that still make clothing here in the US.

11| Do something out of my comfort zone - It's always rewarding to challenge yourself to do something that scares you. (:

12| Go without soda for one month - This one is going to be really difficult because soda is my weakness. In my opinion, there's nothing more satisfying than an ice-cold coke.

13| Complete the 31-day yoga challenge - This will be the third year in a row that this challenge has made its way into my resolutions, and every year I fail to complete it. This year it's going to happen! I'm going to be doing Yoga Revolution by Yoga With Adriene if you're interested in doing it yourself.

14| Save money - I need to cut down on my excessive spending and focus on saving more money for my future.

CAREER:

15| Brainstorm for 15 minutes every day for one month - I was inspired by this post written by The Story Department. The idea is if you make it a habit of brainstorming about your project for at least 15 minutes every day, your story will be stronger and easier to write. I thought I'd test it out for a month and see if it helps me.

16| Write a screenplay... - It's been almost a year since I wrote a screenplay! If I keep this up, I'm going to forget how to even use Cletx! Wait, what's Cletx again...

17| And submit that screenplay into a screenwriting competition - What better way to kick my butt into writing mode then knowing that I'm going to be submitting my work into a competition? (note: withoutabox is a wonderful resource if you're looking to do the same).



There you have it. My 17 goals for 2017. Let me know if you're interested in me updating you throughout the year and letting you know how I'm doing on everything. Also, let me know what other posts you want to see from me this year!


Do you have any goals for 2017?



No comments:

Post a Comment