Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Winter Lineup


Hey, guys, I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

Just popping in real quick to post my winter lineup, and then I'm going to disappear for a couple of weeks to spend time with my family.

But I'll be back before you know it. And I've got some exciting posts coming your way in the new year!


This lineup is only going to include 5 books.

Yep! You heard me right. I'm trying to be more realistic this time around.

The two things I want to do this winter: bask in the light + embrace the cold.



BASK IN THE LIGHT

I'm breaking the down the word light into two different meanings.

#1 I want to keep it light in terms of the content I'm reading. Light-hearted books that are perfect for reading before bed each night. I don't want to spend too much time trying to interpret a book's true meaning.

I think something by Rainbow Rowell or Sophie Kinsella will do the trick.

#2 I want to keep the light inside of me from burning out. In the winter, I definitely get hit with the winter blues, and I usually end up in an uncreative funk. To keep me from getting too funky (ha!), I'm looking for books that are inspiring.

For me, these types of books include Hamilton The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda (I've already talked about how much I love him a few times on this blog) and an American classic that I never got the chance to read in school, 1984 by George Orwell.


EMBRACE THE COLD

Are you ready for me to contradict myself once again? I did it on my last reading lineup too. What can I say, I'm a woman of many contradictions!

Now on with the point I was about to make.

There's something about the cold that makes me want to read a war novel or a book that's set in some cold climate. Maybe it's because I'm safely wrapped up in a blanket with a cup of tea while I read about these harsh conditions.

Right now, I only have All The Light We Cannot See on my list, but I might add another book to this category later.


THE LINEUP:

01| Attachments - Rainbow Rowell: Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives. Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke. When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained and captivated by their stories. By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

02| Remeber Me? - Sophie Kinsella: When twenty-eight-year-old Lexi Smart wakes up in a London hospital, she’s in for a big surprise. Her teeth are perfect. Her body is toned. Her handbag is Vuitton. Having survived a car accident—in a Mercedes no less—Lexi has lost a big chunk of her memory, three years to be exact, and she’s about to find out just how much things have changed. Somehow Lexi went from a twenty-five-year-old working girl to a corporate big shot with a sleek new loft, a personal assistant, a carb-free diet, and a set of glamorous new friends. And who is this gorgeous husband—who also happens to be a multimillionaire? With her mind still stuck three years in reverse, Lexi greets this brave new world determined to be the person she…well, seems to be. That is, until an adorably disheveled architect drops the biggest bombshell of all.

03| Hamilton The Revolution - Lin-Manuel Miranda & Jeremy McCarter: This book gives readers an unprecedented view of both revolutions, from the only two writers able to provide it. Miranda, along with Jeremy McCarter, a cultural critic and theater artist who was involved in the project from its earliest stages--"since before this was even a show," according to Miranda--traces its development from an improbable perfor­mance at the White House to its landmark opening night on Broadway six years later. In addition, Miranda has written more than 200 funny, revealing footnotes for his award-winning libretto, the full text of which is published here.

04| 1984 - George Orwell: Winston Smith works for the Ministry of truth in London, chief city of Airstrip One. Big Brother stares out from every poster, the Thought Police uncover every act of betrayal. When Winston finds love with Julia, he discovers that life does not have to be dull and deadening, and awakens to new possibilities. Despite the police helicopters that hover and circle overhead, Winston and Julia begin to question the Party; they are drawn towards conspiracy. Yet Big Brother will not tolerate dissent - even in the mind. For those with original thoughts they invented Room 101 . . . 

05| All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr: Marie-Laure lives with her father in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where he works as the master of its thousands of locks. When she is six, Marie-Laure goes blind and her father builds a perfect miniature of their neighborhood so she can memorize it by touch and navigate her way home. When she is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure’s reclusive great-uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum’s most valuable and dangerous jewel.
In a mining town in Germany, the orphan Werner grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments, a talent that wins him a place at a brutal academy for Hitler Youth, then a special assignment to track the resistance. More and more aware of the human cost of his intelligence, Werner travels through the heart of the war and, finally, into Saint-Malo, where his story and Marie-Laure’s converge.

(All book summaries via Goodreads)




What's on your winter reading list? Is there another book or two that fits into my two categories that I should read? 

No comments:

Post a Comment