Thursday, December 15, 2016

The Fall Round-Up


It's hard to believe that winter starts next week, which means I need to start thinking about my winter reading lineup. Some feel-good books mixed with cold climate settings, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Today, I'm going to be wrapping up my fall reading lineup, by rounding up all the books I read and didn't read this season.



Let's just say, I was a little too ambitious when I created my fall lineup. In my defense, it was my first blog post, so I was trying to impress you guys with my rad reading skills! And by rad, I clearly mean bad.
You see, I'm known for being a really slow reader (just ask my librarian to see my bill of overdue charges from the library). I don't know what I was thinking when I challenged myself to read ten books!

So I might not have checked off every book from my fall lineup, or even stuck to the books that were on the list, but I did get some reading done!



WHAT WAS READ:

01| Daily Rituals: How Artists Work - Mason Currey: The title pretty much sums the book up. It's an awesome collection of different artist's daily rituals. I like how the author doesn't focus solely on artists (painters, sculptures, etc...) but extends it to include mathematicians, philosophers, and scientists. I have an entire post dedicated to this book coming your way soon!  
MY RATING: 4/5

02| The Au Pairs: Skinny Dipping - Melissa de la Cruz: The second installment of The Au Pairs series. It's definitely a beach read. Be prepared for a lot of hot boys, partying, and secret-keeping going on all while wearing designer clothing. The only problem was that I couldn't really connect with a single one of the main characters -and there were three of them!
MY RATING: 2/5

03| Chopsticks - Jessica Anthony & Rodrigo Corral (Illustrator): Not your typical novel. It's told through pictures with the occasional text here or there. The story is about a young piano prodigy, Glory, falling in love with the boy next door, Frank, and their relationship. I love how this book makes you become a part of the story. It's up to you to interpret or fill in the blanks of the story through the images - something the protagonist or narrator would do in most stories. However, this time you are the narrator, in a way. Pretty cool, right?
MY RATING: 5/5

04| The Boy is Back - Meg Cabot: This epistolary novel is composed entirely of emails, text messages along with the occasional newspaper article or Facebook post, which makes the book so much fun to read! There are no chapters, so it's hard to find a place to stop. However, with Meg Cabot's witty writing and hilarious storylines, there's really no reason why you should stop.          
MY RATING: 4/5 



WHAT WAS LEFT UNREAD:

01| Catching Jordan - Miranda Kenneally: I was halfway through this book. Then...POOF! It was gone. After two months of searching, I finally found it underneath my bed. So my reason for not finishing it, is understandable, in my opinion.

02| Spelldown - Karon Luddy: Ran out of time.

03| The Time of My Life - Cecelia Ahern: I started reading it, but I found it to be particularly wordy. It was hard to follow along, especially when you don't have time to devote an entire day to reading it. I think this will be better suited for a summer vacation when you have time to sit down and finish it in a day or two.

04| All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr: Ran out of time.

05| Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys: Ran out of time.

06| The Bridges of Madison County - Robert James Waller: Ran out of time.

07| Home: A Memoir of My Early Years - Julie Andrews: I read the first chapter, and I loved the writing style. However, I'm not really in a memoir mood. I much prefer to read about made up people.

08| A Brief History of Seven Killings - Marion James: Umm, I've been having a major chick-lit moment, and, well, this book doesn't exactly scream chick-lit.



WHO WILL MAKE IT INTO THE WINTER LINEUP:

01| All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr: This book has been on TBR list for over a year now. I'm definitely going to make time this winter to read it!

02| Catching Jordan - Miranda Kenneally: Since I'm already halfway through, and I finally found the book. I'm going to go ahead and finish it.



Now I want to hear from you! What books did you read this fall? Are there any books that I should check out?


P.S. No post next week. I hope everyone enjoys the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment