Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The JUST WRITE SOMETHING Challenge | Day 16


It totally just dawned on me that yesterday marked the half-way point in this challenge!  I can't believe I didn't realize it before.

So far, I have to say things are going pretty well. There have definitely been some days where I didn't want to write, but I forced myself to power through. I tried to branch out and try different writing styles that I'm not used to, which basically boiled down to poetry. For the second half of the challenge, I want to continue to push myself to try new styles. Maybe play around with perspective or something.

I have a list of some really awesome links if you're looking for some inspiration to get you through the second half of the challenge.

01| Lin-Manuel Miranda giving advice about writing to a high school student

02|  The rules of a great story according to Pixar 

03| One of my favorite quotes from Ira Glass 

04| Basically anything from Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird 

05| New Girl Season 2, Episode 9 

Yesterday's writing:

Today Mrs. Simpson told us that our next big assignment was to pretend we were travel agents and convince the class to visit a certain time period. After last year’s production of The Wizard of OZ where I played Munchkin #3, I was excited for the opportunity to step back into my acting shoes. The only uncool part was the fact that we would be drawing our time period out of a hat, and she wouldn't let us change partners.

I drew the European Renaissance! I immediately started thinking about the fashion during that time: corsets, elegant flowing dresses, intricate hair styles. Who wouldn’t want to visit that time period!? It had everything that’s lacking in today’s fashion… well, except for corsets; I heard that those are back in, but I don’t have too much to push up anyway.

Everything was going perfectly until I found out that my partner was going to be Wilber Adams. You know, that guy who lead our baseball team to state last year and practically has a spot at Franklin University waiting for him.

Yeah, him.

The guy whose hair is always falling into his rich, dark brown eyes that he has to push it back every time he talks.

The guy who half the girls in the school want to date and half the cheerleaders already have.

Yep, he’s my partner.

And do you know what he said to me after we started working on the assignment!?

I was just in the middle of explaining to him why our main focus should be on the art scene during the Renaissance – Michelangelo, Raphael, Leonardo da Vinci were just a few of the greats living in Florence during that time- when he cut me off.

“The black plague also happened during that time. Plus there's that kid game that mentions it,” he said as he flipped open his notebook and started writing.

"Ring Around the Rosy?”

“Yep, that’s the one. We could use it in our presentation as a cautionary song.”

“But we’re trying to convince people to visit there. We can’t mention the plague,” I said.

“But it happened, and it had a major impact during that time. We’re adding it. Trust me, people are going to want to know the truth.”

He grabbed the book that was between us and flipped through, signaling to me that he was officially taking over this project.

Unbelievable.

And I still have to put up with him for the next two weeks!

Also, do you think it’s a good time to say that Wilber smells really really good?



Today's writing prompt:

What is your before-bedtime routine? 


No comments:

Post a Comment