Tuesday, November 8, 2016

The JUST WRITE SOMETHING Challenge | Day 8


When it comes to writing, I'm not the type of person who has to have music playing in the background. It all depends on where I am in the writing process. If I'm just getting started (planning period + 1st draft), I say bring on the tunes. And by tunes, I mean film scores (the Dario Marianelli station on Pandora is amazing).  I find that lyrical songs get in the way of my creative process because the lyrics are telling you how you should feel, while instrumental pieces are left up to your interpretation. That's just my opinion at least. (:

Once I start editing and refining my writing, I work best without music. Since grammar is my ultimate weakness, I can't have any distractions while I'm trying to spot the comma splices or the moment where my voice accidentally shifted.


Now I want to hear from you! Do you listen to music while you write? If so, what type of music do you listen to? Does it change with each genre or style of writing?




Yesterday's writing*:

Carving a Pumpkin

A knife, sharp with a serrated edge
stabs the space between the ribs 
removing a wedge

the brains
the guts
the insides
are tossed out until nothing remains

The knife carves out a triangle
to see the light
pumpkin strings still dangle

Line by line
tooth by tooth

The pumpkin shines. 



* I broke my no lyrics rule yesterday when I wrote this poem. I wanted to play around with poetry since it's not my strong suit, so who better to turn to for inspiration then Lin-Manuel Miranda. I had the Hamilton soundtrack playing in the background. Man, his work is incredible. 



Today's writing prompt: 

Do you prefer the new e-books or printed hardback or paperback books? Why? What are the benefits of each? 







No comments:

Post a Comment