Friday, October 28, 2016

The JUST WRITE SOMETHING Challenge



I've been (un)patiently waiting since the end of September to write this post, and now the time has finally come!

For those of you who don't know, November is National Novel Writing Month aka NaNoWriMo, which means all your writer friends become madmen as they try to crank out a novel in a month. It's something that has always interested me, but every year I give up before the first week of November is over.

So I wanted to shake things up a bit and create a challenge that I could tailor to fit me. I'm calling this the JUST WRITE SOMETHING Challenge (yes, all-caps is necessary).




Those were the three words I would scribble across the top of the page every time I had to write something, whether it be for fiction writing classes or academic papers. It was a way of telling myself, Hey, don't think that every time you put pen to paper it has to be great-American-novel worthy. Just write something! Something that you love and that you would want to read. Refining and editing and all that other great-American-novelness stuff will come later. 

Even today, I still scribble JUST WRITE SOMETHING across the page whenever I'm feeling stuck or uninspired and usually end up writing right away. It might not have anything to do with the story, but it's something, and that's all I wanted. (:

I'm going to keep the rules for this challenge pretty flexible. The idea isn't to punish yourself but to enjoy the act of writing.


The Rules: 

01| Every day I'll post a new writing prompt that I'll pick at random from a book of prompts. I don't want to preplan the prompts because I want it to feel like we're in this together. So if we get stuck with a crappy one, we'll be stuck together.

02| The whole idea is to write something but writing at least 500 words a day would be awesome!

03| Share your writing! Sharing my work is still something that I struggle with. But I'm challenging myself, and you, to share a piece of your writing with someone even if it's just one sentence! I'm going to be posting snippets of my work next day along with the new prompt.


What do you say? Are you interested in participating in this challenge with me!?



See you on November 1st,

Leah




No comments:

Post a Comment