Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Collection: Buying vs Borrowing



I’m working towards downsizing my book collection to only include the books that I love (There’s a blog post about all of this coming soon). During the process, I’ve started wondering how does someone determine when to borrow a book versus borrowing it from their local library or a friend. Are there certain books that you know you’ll buy right off the bat? Or is it a meticulous process as you decide if a book worth the $20+?
I thought I’d share my book buying breakdown with you below.

Buy:
  •  Books by my favorite authors – a no-brainer in my opinion. These are the list of people who consistently publishes amazing stories, so I know I won’t be disappointed.
  • Reference books in my field of study – My goal is to keep the books that I will constantly refer to during my career. So for me, those books pertain to writing and filmmaking + some cookbooks. I get all my other reference books from the library.
  • Book recommendations – There have been very few books recommended to me that I didn’t enjoy. This just goes to show that my friends and family have awesome taste in literature!

Borrow:
  • “Trendy” books – I classify trendy books to be anything that is making the rounds on my favorite lifestyle bloggers & vloggers sites. Right now, that falls into the category of self-help books. An example would be The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I found the book to be helpful, but it wasn’t a book that I needed to keep on my shelf.
  • Biographies & Memoirs – There are a few exceptions to this rule depending on the person/ subject matter. However, over the years I’ve realized that I rarely refer back to these type of books. It makes more sense for me to check them out from the library.
  • The classics – Ok, so the classics sort of exist in both categories. I will usually check out a copy from the library to see if I like it. If I start getting an itch to write in margins and underline passages, then I will go out and buy a copy. It’s a confusing system, but it works for me.
I’m curious, do you have any rules for buying/borrowing books?

No comments:

Post a Comment